Summer is here and for many no summer is complete without a trip to the beach. Sun, sand and surf come together to make a great trip for the entire family. However, getting ready for a trip to the beach can seem a daunting task.
Here are some of the things we never visit the beach without:
- Sun Screen – Apply your sunscreen early and often. Remember that sunscreen needs to be applied liberally. Most experts recommend a shot glass full of sunscreen for an average person. Also remember to reapply after going in the water and after toweling off or playing in the sand.
- Sun Protecting Clothing – For kids, sunscreen can be a battle. Protect them with longer shorts and sun protecting swim shirts.
- Sun Hat – Keep that noggin covered!
- Beach Chairs – While a towel on the sand will do in a pinch, beach chairs are always nice especially when you are spending lots of time on the sand.
- A Beach Blanket – Blanket on one side and vinyl on the other, beach blankets are perfect for relaxing or for a picnic.
- Snacks! – Snacks are a requirement for any trip to the beach. Pack items that don’t need to be kept cold and aren’t squishy or sticky for the best results.
- Water and other drinks – Keeping hydrated under the sun is very important. Make sure to have plenty of cool water on hand for everyone.
- Wet Wipes – No one likes to eat their snacks with sandy hands. Wet wipes are easy and make sure everyone’s hands are clean (ish) before they eat.
- Towels – Throw in a few extra just in case a few get wet, sandy, sticky or lost.
- Light Jackets – As the sun sets or after too much sun exposure, the gentle sea breeze can feel a bit cold. A light jacket keeps everyone comfortable while you are packing up.
- Wet face cloths in a zippered sandwich bag – Perfect on a hot face after too much sun or if a bit of sunscreen gets into a little one’s eye.
- Beach Toys – It’s hard to build a sandcastle without a bucket!
- Camera – You will want to capture the fun on your little one’s faces.
Want more tips? We love these articles about taking your kids to the beach!
Also check out great episodes about the beach on Kidoodle.TV!
Busy World of Richard Scary, Season 4 Episode 11 – The Best Car Trip Ever & Ernest’s Dish You Can Eat & Cousin Russ
The kids are really disappointed when Father Cat won’t stop at Splashland on their way to the beach for a vacation. He thinks wasting time at a water park is silly when you can have a whole ocean to play in. But when one too many shortcuts puts them way behind schedule, Father Cat changes his mind and Splashland’s the next stop…now the kids have to find a way to get him to leave.
New Adventures of Madeline, Season 1 Episode 22 – Madeline at Cannes
Lord Cucuface sends the girls to Cannes. Not heeding Miss Clavel’s warning, Madeline stays on the beach all day and gets sunburned, so she’s forced to stay inside. She is so lonely and bored, Lord Cucuface asks his director friends to bring their latest movies and The Cannes Film Festival is born.
Olliver’s Adventures, Season 1 Episode 2 – Air Show & Tales from an Arabian Fright & Wise Man On the Mountain
Air Show – An air show looks pretty impressive, until Olliver sees the pilots have been hypnotized by the broccoli-munching Cuddle Cubs! Olliver and his friends must stop the Cuddle Cubs before they ruin everyone’s fun. “Tales From an Arabian Fright” – On a trip to the beach, Olliver is about to put the finishing touches on his magnificent sandcastle when he gets an urgent message in a bottle. The handsome prince has been kidnapped, and if Olliver doesn’t save him in time, the Giant Big Sisters are going to marry him. “Wise Man On The Mountain” – Olliver is stumped while studying for a test, so he seeks out the Wise Man who lives atop a nearby mountain. The treacherous climb is interrupted by several foes, including Cray and the Baddies.
~ Merry & Alicia