Halloween is just around the corner! For the next 31 days, everything will be coming up black cats, pumpkins and ghosts . . . and candy. While we have nothing against candy, it can become a bit much after a few Halloween celebrations, not to mention after an evening of trick-or-treating.
What if we could celebrate the fun of Halloween without all the sugar? Sounds like a win-win to us. Here are some great Halloween treat suggestions that don’t involve candy (or at least not that much).
Photo used with permission from chocolate & carrots
- First up are Monster Sandwiches from chocolate & carrots. We love how infinitely customizable these are. Don’t like turkey? Use ham. Don’t like cheddar? Use havarti. They are still sandwiches and still monsters. Perfect for a classroom Halloween party, lunchbox or as a snack before heading out trick-or-treating.
- For your next Halloween party, make this awesome Tombstone Taco Dip. Southwestern flavors come together with tortillas cut into spooky tree shapes and then baked for a yummy Halloween snack.
Photo used with permission from Spaceships and Laser Beams
- We admit it, these cute Banana Ghosts have a tiny bit of candy on them but they are mostly healthy. Check out the instructions on how to make them and many other great treats at healthy Halloween ideas at Spaceships and Laser Beams.
- Another great idea is to make a spooky Halloween Cheese Pop with Babybel cheese and nori. Find the instructions for this spooktacular treat over at Cute Food for Kids.
- Veggie trays can be a very spooky treat if you arrange them correctly. Try your hand at a veggie skeleton, a veggie jack o’lantern or a candy corn veggie tray. So cute and so healthy!
- Use hotdogs and crescent rolls to make yummy hot dog mummies from Seakettle. They are easy enough to make that your children can help you and they are good hot or cold so they make a perfect lunchbox addition.
- Don’t forget that Halloween cookie cutters are your best friend when making non-sweet Halloween treats. They can make bread, cheese, veggies and more into a spooky treat.
While you’re making some of these awesome treats, watch Halloween related episodes on Kidoodle.TV to keep you inspired!
In Olliver’s Adventures, Season 1, Episode 10, “Raisin a Stink”, Olliver encounters a mob of evil raisins that are part of a hippie cult designed to re-educate the tasty, gooey, delicious candies and turn them into health food.
We hope that some of these not so sweet Halloween Treat ideas will tickle your taste buds. Enjoy the fun of Halloween without the toothaches!
~Merry and Alicia